Hull’s Tavern Sign
Date manufactured/createdcirca 1785
DescriptionThis wooden sign promising “Entertainment” marked Hull’s Tavern, which was built in 1772 by Lewis Goodsell (the son of Greenfield Hill’s first minister), and later operated by Stephen Hull. One memoir recalled the tavern doing a brisk business, hosting regular dances with wine, plum cake, and a fiddler.
Measurement Notes: 32 1/2” H x 23 3/4” W + 4 1/4” H crest
Credit LineGift of Elizabeth Howard Nichols