Photos of the East River Reading Room
Curatorial Description53 'born digital' images provided to document the East River Reading Room's appearance as of September, 2016 upon its closure and sale.
In 1874, the East River Reading Room (ERRR) on the Boston Post Road in Madison, CT opened and served as a town library and meeting place. According to its bylaws, the objective was "the mental and moral improvement of its members by means of books, papers, magazines and periodicals with exhibitions, readings, recitations, music and lectures." It was supplanted by the Scranton Memorial Library in 1901.
In 2019 the structure was sold to private buyers who have sustained the building's traditions.